Be There is a research-based, multimedia campaign designed to get parents more involved in their children's education. One hundred percent of the research studies compiled by The Parent Institute* indicate that parent involvement has a significant impact on student success. The statistics show that with as little as a one-third increase in parent participation, school achievement scores increase dramatically. It only takes a small increase in parent input to see measurable results in student output!
Here are six key research facts from some of the most important research findings: (Reprinted with permission from The Parent Institute.)
- The family provides the child's primary educational environment.
- Involving parents in their children's formal education improves student achievement.
- High scoring schools and districts have high levels of parent involvement.
- The benefits last a lifetime, they are not confined to early childhood or the elementary level; there are strong effects from involving parents continuously through middle and high school.
- Minorities have the most to gain. Children from low-income and minority families benefit greatly when schools involve parents. Parents do not have to be well educated to help.
- School and home are connected. We cannot look at the school and the home in isolation from one another; we must see how they interconnect with each other and with the world at large.
This is not new data, which would seem to suggest that "old ways" of engaging parents are not working. The research clearly demonstrates that our children are depending on us to achieve their full potential. With Be There, there is no achievement gap, just achievement! The entire campaign is built around the relationship between one adult and one child. It takes just one person to make a difference in the life of a child. All photography, billboards, brochures, posters and video reinforce that theme. All materials will encourage a visit to the website, www.bethere.org, which will offer even more support and links to national organizations, like The Parent Institute, and local organizations, like the school district and social services web sites. Demographically, everyone is represented in the photos. which means, everyone can do it! And, everyone will benefit from it.
Simple, right? Yes, it is. Be There was created to show parents how easy it is to get involved by inviting them, welcoming them, inspiring them to "Be There" through eloquent photography, which speaks volumes in the moments it captures. Creative writing and easy ideas go along with the photos. Real people write in and share their success stories with others.
Educators, administrators and parents are excited about the potential of Be There and the difference it will make for children across the country. Corporations are offering their support because this has an impact beyond family life, beyond school, beyond the community. It reaches far into the future offering each one of us the opportunity to live the American dream, just by being there.